Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Easy Granola



I found this recipe in Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn. I was looking for a quick morning snack since I don't want to spend a lot of time on breakfast for myself. I thought this was a nice change from my plain cheerios (boring.) and coffee. Probably even better on yogurt, or frozen yogurt. Yes, I am always thinking of dessert! The recipe makes for 24 servings but quartered it for a smaller batch. It is so easy to make and will last up to 4 weeks if you do decide to make the amount the recipe yields!

Ingredients

12 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups "goodies" (nuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, trail mix, coconut, dried fruit)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
*I added a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar to the mixture

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a very large bowl, combine oats, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar if you and whatever "goodies" you are using. Mix well.
3. Combine oil and honey in a 2-cup glass measuring cup (or glass bowl). Microwave 2-3 minutes until hot. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Spread mixture over prepared baking sheets; bake until light to medium brown, 15-20 minutes. If you have a convection oven, bake all 3 pans at the same time. Otherwise it's best to bake each pan individually on the center rack of oven.
5. Let granola cool. It will break up somewhat as you transfer it to a storage container, but try to leave big chunks if you prefer.





Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Oh I LOVE granola, have it in my office at all times...you can add it to all breakfast foods!! I love mine on Yogurt...I am def. going to try this one! :) The pic looks so professional too.

    ReplyDelete