Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Maman's Spaghetti Sauce

This is my mother's recipe for homemade marinara sauce. I've been eating it all my life, as has Jess! I never get sick of it, and I love making tons of it so I have leftovers during the week. I prefer linguine over spaghetti, but do as you wish.
Serves 6
Ingredients:
1 box linguine (500g)
1/2 lb ground beef (don't use anything fattier than 15%, I like to use 10%)
1 chopped onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 can tomato paste + 2-3 cans water
1 can mushroom stems/pieces, drained (or use fresh cut)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp oregano (my mother calls this marijuana.. lol)
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
Salt/Pepper to taste
Parmesan/Swiss to top
Directions:
1. In a large enough saucepan, cook your ground beef and garlic. Do not add any oil. The meat will give off enough juices to cook in.
2. Start boiling your water for the pasta
3. Once the meat is cooked, turn off the heat and scoop it out with a holy serving spoon to keep the juices in the pan. Put it aside for later.
4. Turn the heat back on and brown your onion a bit in the juices. Throw in your thyme, bay leaves, oregano, and basil and let brown.
5. Add mushrooms and stir for a few minutes.
6. Add the can of tomato paste, and 2 cans of water. Wear an apron, or just don't wear white! Stir until the paste disolves in the water, and put the heat on low.
7. Add the meat and parsley. If you think the sauce is too thick, add a little more water and stir in.
8. Taste and add salt and pepper how you like it.
9. Let simmer while you wait for your pasta to finish cooking....
Then serve piping hot with parmesan and shredded swiss on top! Yes, I use both because I can never decide!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good! I am always looking for a good sauce, thanks Steph!

    ReplyDelete