Search this blog

Translate

Friday, May 7, 2010

Bacon and Mushroom Risotto

I've been watching a lot of cooking tv lately, and everyone keeps raving about Risotto. I had never eaten it or cooked it, so I decided to give it a try. I got this recipe from my coworker's wife, Audrey. This was good, but didn't make very good leftovers. If you make this, eat it right away.
This makes 6 servings.. adjust accordingly
Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked arborio rice
1 onion, chopped
1 handful wild mushrooms (or regular mushrooms)
1/2 pack of chopped bacon (fat trimmed)
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
6 cups warm chicken stock
1 bunch fresh parsley, minced
a dribble of heavy cream
a bunch of parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. In a large sautée pan, brown the bacon and onions (with no extra oil or butter, please)
2. Drain the fat and add the uncooked rice. Keep an eye on it and stir until the rice becomes translucid. At the same time, warm your chicken stock.
3. Pour in the white wine and cook on low until the liquid is absorbed.
4. Add the mushrooms and pour in some of the stock to level of the rice. Cover but check on it and stir. When the liquid is absorbed, repeat until desired tenderness of rice is obtained. This took me 45 minutes, but I don't think I put enough stock in the first time around.. I put in very little at a time.
5. Stir in the parsley and parmesan. If you would like it to be creamy, but in a little cream but not everybody does this.

Sprinkle some fresh ground pepper and serve with salad in a light vinegarette

You can play around with the ingredients... make it colorful or plain. It's delicious!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. YUM! And so pretty. I am going to make this fa sho!

    ReplyDelete