Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Leek Pumpkin Soup

I meant for this soup to be more orange, but I guess that's what I get for putting leeks in there. It still tasted delicious, though... although I put less than half of my pumpkin in there, so it was not very pumpkin-y. I used the last of it... and I might be ready to pick a new one. I love this vegetable!
I've made this with zucchini in place of pumpkin, too!
Ingredients:
3 cups raw pumpkin (or however much you have)
2 leeks, washed and chopped
5 medium potatoes, peeled
1 cup beer (there I go pouring beer into my food again.. what's wrong with me?)
2 smashed garlic cloves
1 cube vegetable broth (or chicken)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp walnut oil (I just felt like experimenting, but just use EVOO)
salt to taste
red pepper flakes
some water
Directions:
1. Sautee your leek in the oil (in a large pot or pressure cooker)
2. Add potatoes, pepper, chili powder and stir around.
3. Add the pumpkin, beer and vegetable cube and then add some water so there are still vegetables sticking out.
4. If you are using a pressure cooker, close it and count 10 minutes from when it starts to make noises. If not, simmer until potatoes are tender (30 minutes or more?) If using a crock pot, don't add much water.
5. Mix with an immersible blender, stir in heavy cream, and salt to taste.
6. Serve with some shredded cheese fresh ground pepper, and red pepper flakes on top.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment