Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Turkey Minestrone

For Thanksgiving, my sister and I took a trip to Reno to spend the Holiday with my Aunt Kathy and Grammie. Before we left, my Aunt surprised me with a Christmas present...a "Taste of Home Cookbook"! This bad boy has become one of my favorite cookbooks thus far (I don't have many). It has dividers, and a section called "Kitchen Basics" - which helps me out every time I cook. It also has the classic recipe and three different ways to make it, Time-Saver - for the busy in your life, Light - for those watching your girlish figure, and Serves 2 - for those who don't do leftovers! I thought I would expand my cooking skills and try to make my very first soup! I decided that Turkey Minestrone (Light Recipe) sounded easy and, of course yummy . Well, it was super- duper easy and was OH, SO YUMMY! I hope you like making it as much as I did. :)



Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
  • Pinch pepper

Directions

• In a stockpot over medium heat, sauté onion in oil until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the next six ingredients; cook until meat is no longer pink.


• Add the tomatoes, broth, zucchini and mixed vegetables; cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, macaroni, vinegar, salt if desired and pepper; simmer for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).



I served my soup with Ham and Swiss Panini's!! 

Yield: 16 Servings (4 quarts)

Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 132 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 538 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. 
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Yum.. this was just yum! I made it and had eric eat something else so I could have it all for myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ^ ...your pics always look to professional. The plate, granite, food combo always provides a fabulous display =)

    ReplyDelete