Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Eggplant Mozzarella Bruschetta

Another great way to use eggplants when they finally go on sale! What equally inspired me was a potted basil plant also on sale! I know it won't last me long, but at least I'll enjoy every last leaf of it.
I made this as a lunch for 2, but it could easliy be an appetizer for 4 or if cut into pieces, hot hors d'oeuvres for a handful of people!
Ingredients:
1 eggplant, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
4 large slices lightly toasted Italian bread (I used whole grain)
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled
15 leaves fresh basil
some leftover tomato sauce (I didn't have leftover, so I used prepared Panzani tomato sauce)
salt/fresh ground pepper
some EVOO
drizzle of basalmic vinegar
Directions:
1. Brush some EVOO on some oven paper, place your eggplant slices on the paper, and brush them with EVOO as well. Sprinkle salt and fresh ground pepper over your slices and pop into preheated oven 400°F for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, rub the garlic cloves on the toasted bread. For 4 large slices, this should use up 2 garlic cloves.
3. Spread some tomato sauce onto each slice.
4. When the eggplant is done, line the slices up on the bread, then line up the basil on top.
5. Drizzle a few drops of basalmic vinegar onto each slice, then line up the slices of mozzarella. Grind some pepper over your slices and drizzle a bit of EVOO on everything.
6. Pop back into the oven until the mozzarella is melty and bubbly (mine took 7 minutes)

Serve and enjoy your lovely Italian appetizer. I ended up putting extra basil leaves on top.
This one is a winner!
Eric loved it, too even though it had no meat!
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments: