Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bowties in Roasted Red Bell Sauce

I'm in a roasted veggie phase... and it's been over 2 weeks. I'm STILL craving roasted veggies!!! So when I decided to blend my roasted bells to make a pretty red sauce to toss my bowties in, I was completely thrilled with myself... and so was Eric!!
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 500g package bowtie pasta (or other pasta you might like)
4 roasted red bell peppers (roast and peel yourself, or buy in a jar)
1 zucchini, sliced thinly
1 eggplant, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup reserved pasta water
1 tbsp basil or handful fresh
some heavy cream (sorry, I didn't really measure)
Salt/Fresh ground pepper
Directions:
1. Grill the veggies: Salt the eggplant and zucchini slices to let the water sweat out, about 20 minutes. Then rinse, dry, and toss with enough EVOO to coat. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle a little salt, some fresh ground pepper, and grate 2 of the garlic cloves over them. Pop in the broiler for about 15 minutes, checking and turning at least once, until desired grill-ness.
2. While waiting for the veggies to grill, blend the roasted bell peppers with the 2 remaining garlic and a drizzle of EVOO. If you are using jarred bell peppers, throw in the liquid, too.
3. During this time, you should have already started to boil your salted water to cook the bowties al dente.
4. In a heavy based pan, heat the blended mixture with a little more EVOO. The color should be fantastically beautiful. At this time, you can drizzle some heavy cream to add more liquid to the sauce.
5. Add the grilled veggies and heat through before adding the cooked bowties. Toss and heat until desired tenderness of the pasta. It should be well coated. If not, add some of the reserved pasta water and/or heavy cream. Adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and add the basil.

Serve with some freshly grated parmesan..mmmm
Ok, where's the meat? Well, serve as a side to a slab of meat or add some crumbled Italian sausage and some roasted tomatoes which is what I'm planning to do next time since I just made a fresh batch!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I redid this with more bell peppers, some italian sausage and roasted tomatoes.. it was out of this world!!! I can't get enough of grilled veggies with EVOO and garlic.

    ReplyDelete