Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Zucchini and Spinach Pesto

I'm not sure I can correctly describe the joy that shot through my body upon eating this concoction.
I can hear my angels singing to me just remembering this...
Serves 5-6
Ingredients:
1 zucchini, chopped
1 cube frozen spinach (or large handful fresh)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pinch saffron
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp consomme
1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 bunch basil
1 lb Spaghetti (I accidentally bought spaghetti instead of linguine)
salt/fresh ground pepper
lots of parmesan for topping
red pepper flakes for heat
some other cheese (mozza, jack, swiss, whatever) for melting in the sauce
1 slice prociutto per person
Directions:
 1.  Put spaghetti to boil in salted water.
2.  While waiting, sweat the onions in a few tbsp EVOO.  Add the zucchini and spinach and cook until tender.
3.  Add the garlic, saffron, consomme and 1 cup water.  Heat through, then add the basil and blend with an immersible blender, adding some olive oil to smooth out the sauce.
4.  Turn the heat on low and add the "other cheese" so it melts nicely in the sauce.  Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
5.  When the spaghetti is al dente, reserve some of the cooking water and drain.  Toss with the sauce and add some of the cooking water if too thick.

Serve with prociutto and topped with parmesan, fresh cracked pepper and red pepper flakes before taking the stairway to heaven.

My pinch of saffron has been making its way into many of my dishes lately.  Did you know it is an antidepressant and aphrodisiac (not that I need it) as well as anti-inflammatory and a pain reliever?
Interesting...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment