Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Home Made Laundry Detergent

Domestic engineering at its finest.  
I figured I'd rather spend my money on things that make me go wild than on household products.  My sister in law gave me this recipe that I've been using for over a year and a half, and so has most of my neighborhood.  This process ends up costing me about 30 cents for 3L of detergent.  This leaves room in my budget for things like Tahini (finally!!!)
for 3 L - 1 gal
Ingredients:
150-200g savon de marseille
water
empty previous container of detergent you will no longer need to buy
grater
elbow grease
few drops essential oil for fragrance
Directions:
1.  Grate the soap using elbow grease.
2.  Place in saucepan and cover with water.  Heat on low, stirring to avoid burning until the soap has melted and there are no clumps.
3.  Pour the melted soap into the previous detergent container you will no longer be buying.  Immediately fill the rest of the container with very hot water.
4.  Close it up.  Shake it shake it, then leave it for 24 hours.
5.  It will have solidified a bit.  The texture will be kind of goopy and slimey..that is what you want.  Add 10 drops essential oil (I use eucalyptus) and shake it again.

Ready to use.  
Those of you who have chosen to reproduce may find this very useful, since you probably do twice as much laundry as I do.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment