Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pinto Bean Dip

While I haven't really bean searching for pinto beans in France, they just happened upon me in the "world" section of the store.  Of course, I got all excited about seeing the word Pinto and embarassed my shopping companions.  Here they are called coco beans and are not very common, though much easier to find than black beans.  When I got home I couldn't stop thinking about them.  Imagining beans and rice, bean dip, bean and chicken soup... it was making me crazy.  Although we were invited out for dinner, I decided to go with the flow and do something anyway.
These are probably the cheapest beans you can find in the US, but here, they go for almost 4€/kg.  Pricey, but so worth it.  I made a bunch and froze most of it in batches for an impromptu happy hour or until I buy some cilantro and costena salsa to get mexican in the house!
2 cups dried beans = 4 cups cooked beans
Ingredients:
2 cups dried pinto beans
8 cups water

For dip:
1 1/2 cups cooked beans with some liquid
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 jalapeno which i didn't have, so I drizzled some habanero EVOO
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 shake cumin
Salt/pepper to taste
1 green onion

Directions:
1.  Soak the dried beans overnight, then wash very well and cook on low in the crock pot for 4-5 hours.  Mine were exploded.
2.  Gather the ingredients for the dip and blend together, adding cooking liquid if necessary.

Serve with tortilla chips or other dippable items.
I added a small spoon of cream cheese, but some salsa would have made it perfect.

I like it warm.  I had it again with my eggs topped with cheese and tapatio for breakfast this morning.  I'm soo not over it!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment