Search this blog

Translate

Monday, December 24, 2012

Maple Cinnamon Sticky Buns

Cinnamon Rolls, Seminar Rolls, Sweet Rolls, Sticky Buns
Whatever name for these delicious chewy stimulates your warm childhood (or warmer recent) memory glands will work.
It's funny how the words sticky and buns would never pleasantly be paired if we weren't talking about food.
Anyway, this is going to be my Christmas dessert.  I know it's not very traditional for Christmas, but I here in France you are supposed to eat Buche or Yule log for dessert.  What can I say?  I'm just not that buche-y kind of girl and I wanted to make something myself that would be somewhat of a challenge.  To make cinammon rolls, you need to make a dough using yeast.  Challenge accepted. 
I'm using the Pioneer Woman's recipe but halved, and then used half of the dough to yield my 12-14 rolls.  The rest I put in the freezer for NYE or another occasion.
Ingredients:
Dough:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 small packet of yeast (10g - 0.25oz)
5 cups flour
1 large tsp baking powder (levure chimique)
1 tsp salt
Filling:
3/4 cup melted butter
plenty of cinnamon and sugar
Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup whole milk
1/8 cup melted butter
1/8 cup coffee (optional)
pinch of salt
Directions:
1.  For the dough, scald (almost boil) the milk, oil and sugar.  Set aside and let cool 45 minutes.
2.  Sprinkle the yeast and let dissolve at least 1 minute.
3.  Add 4 cups of the flour and stir until combined, then set in a warm place with a towel over the mixture for at least 1 hour.  It will rise like the sun.
All this mixed together with my bare hands, just the way I like it.
4.  Add the 1 cup remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.  Refridgerate for at least 1 hour.  I left mine overnight and had fun punching the dough down in the morning.
5.  Roll the dough into a large rectangle 2-3 ft by 10 in.  I only used half.  The rest I froze and will bust out another time.
6.  Pour the melted butter for the filling onto the dough.  Then sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and sugar.
 Put on your flamenco ladybug apron and smother it like there's no tomorrow.
7.  Roll that baby starting from the far end bringing it toward you.  It will ooze.  This is good.  When you reach the end, pinch to seam.

I would have sprinkled some cayenne pepper in there, but that idea was not approved.  Feel that ooozy goodness between your fingers.
8.  Cut up your log into 1 inch slices and place into baking pans.  Allow to rise for at least 30 minutes.
oh they are naughty little fellows aren't they?
9.  Bake at 190°C (375°F) for 15-20 minutes or until rolls are golden.
10.  While this is going on, whisk all the icing ingredients together.
11.  Pour the icing onto the hot sweet rolls to make them sticky.  It will absorb and increase the gooey factor.  This is good.

I am soo not a dessert person, but I had 3 of these after a heavy Christmas Eve dinner, which should give you a hint of how wonderfully heartwarming these are.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment