Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I used to be a firm believer of volumetric measurements, but I can officially say I've converted to weight.  My kitchen scale (which I originally bought to weigh my dragons) has taken over my measuring cup for baking if only because I have 1 less thing to wash when it's all over.  It is also much more precise and makes less of a mess.  I get really messy when baking.  Can somebody remind me why I even started baking in the first place?  I suppose it's not so bad as long I stick to american classics that are hard to find here in France.  When I was a younger elegant biped, I used to make cookies all the time for school.  I think the last time was before 1999.  I had to adapt the recipe with things I had on hand, but I'm still giving the original which comes from Ghirardelli,  because theirs are just simply the best.
Yields 3 dozen cookies (or exactly 33 if you're counting)
Ingredients:
6 oz dark chocolate chips (I used 125g organic)
1/2 cup softened butter (114g)
3/8 cup packed brown sugar (I used 75g cassonade)
1/4 cup powdered sugar (31g)
1 small egg (I used 1 large)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used organic maple syrup)
1/2 cup flour (I used 70g organic whole wheat)
1/2 tsp baking soda (I used 3/4 tsp baking powder)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1 1/2 cups organic oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts  (which I omitted completely)
Directions:
1.  Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
2.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
3.  Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together.  Add this mixture little by little while continually mixing to the egg butter sugar mixture.  Feel your muscles working?  Good.
4.  Stir in the oats, then the chocolate chips.  Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C.
5.  On a cookie sheet, make tablespoon sized balls spaced out at least 2 inches apart.  
Bake for 8 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack for cooling.

Success!
I halved the original recipe but I may just make the whole thing next time.  I'm not really a dessert person, but how could I resist such a lovely chewy cookie made with so much love?
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment