Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Khatta Dhokla

I can't take much credit for this dish.  It came in a box of mix ready to use given to me by my grandmother.  Nevertheless, the cooking method is complicated.  It needs to be steamed in a pressure cooker in a microperforated pan that I do not have.  I do have a microwave, though.   I'm not a huge fan of microwave cooking but for these extremely rare occasions, I'm happy to own one.
Here's how it all comes together:
200g Gits Khatta Dhokla mix
2 fl oz (60 mL) plain yogurt
8 fl oz (240 mL) water
1 Tbsp oil
2 tsp ginger
Sprinkle chili powder
Sprinkle black pepper
Garnish:
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
Some chopped cilantro
Directions:
1.  Mix all the ingredients together until a smooth batter is obtained and divide into 2 batches.
2.  In a microwave safe container, cook each batch uncovered for 5-6 minutes.  Unmold and transfer to a wire rack to let cool before cutting into squares (or pie pieces).
3.  To get the garnish ready, heat the oil in a saucepan.  Throw all the seeds in until they start to crackle, then take off the heat.  Brush the mixture onto your little cake pieces and then sprinkle the chopped cilantro.

Serve warm as an appetizer or side dish.  Gujarat, I'm ready for you.

I'm so happy this finally worked out that I didn't even make dinner.  Oops.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment