Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Prepping for India

 Not that I'm going to be cooking there (although that would be nice), but with take-off in less than a week, I just can't wait to get my hands on the real stuff.  What I'm doing is giving memory injections to my tastebuds so they will naturally analyze and compare, so that my Post-India cooking will be slightly enhanced.  I know good Indian food.  I've had it in good homes and restaurants, but what I haven't had is Indian food in India made by Indians with 100% Indian spices purchased at the market in town and stored in little jars and without having to substitute ingredients because I can't find them.
Excuse me, do you have curry leaves?  Of course.
Kaffir lime leaves? Why yes.
Garam masala, chat masala, tandoori masala, amchur, asofetida, kokum, vathals, turmeric root, kala jeera, black onion and mustard seeds?  No problem, follow me.
 Kadhai Chicken, Palak Paneer with Basmati rice garnished with Cilantro and eaten by hand with tortillas (didn't have enough time to make rotis).
Coconut Cardamom Burfi

I even put dried mango with lemon + cayenne pepper in my oats this morning, just to get my motor running.  I didn't photograph that, but it was lovely.

I cannot wait to get my hands on some notorious Indian street samosas, dosas, pakoras, lassis.  Oooo lassis!!  If it gets hot enough I will be pouring some cardamom mango lassi all over my face.

I also have a confession to make.  While checking out places in Dubai for the layover, I saw they have a Baja Fresh in at least 2 foodcourts.  Will I succumb to this temptation or eat locally?  It is going to be an extremely tough decision.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment