Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Jalapeño Cookies

I've been wanting to make jalapeño cookies for a while now, but for some reason I'm a bit hesitant.  They work well in savory muffins, and of course, corn bread.  I like jalapeños, I like cookies, but will I like them together?  More importantly, will my favorite food critic appreciate them?
We shall see...
I found this recipe from a cookie blog and the writer seems to be on the same instinctual crazy page as I am, so I am trusting her.
Yields 54 tbsp sized cookies
Ingredients:
2 1/2cups (350g) whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2lb (200g) softened butter
3/4 cup (150g) brown sugar
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
*I used180g cassonade and 20g molasses*
3 oz (80g) cream cheese
2 large eggs
1 tsp lemon or lime zest
1 large jalapeño, seeded and diced (approx 1/4 cup)
Extra cayenne for sprinkling
Directions:
1. Sift together the flour, spices, salt, and baking soda.  Set aside.
2.  In a separate mixing bowl, fluff together the butter and sugar, then add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix together.
3.  Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients little by little until it is all incorporated.  Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  It will be easier to manipulate when cold.  Trust me on this one.  If you don't do this, you will end up licking up most of the batter off your fingers than using in the cookies.
4.  Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
5.  On a baking sheet, make tbsp sized balls and line them up with approx 2 inch spacing between each ball.  Sprinkle just a touch of cayenne on each one, then bake for 12-14 minutes.
6.  Transfer to wire rack and let cool.

These are surprising cookies.
You can taste the PeP in each bite, especially at the end.  Next time I will definately add chocolate chips to give them some extra depth.
I'm going to have fun surprising people with this cookie.

disclaimer:  that is NOT a jalapeño in the picture, it is a Moroccan chili, and it's the closest thing I can get here in France.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment