Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Jeera rice

Sit at my table, and I will hand feed you until your soul feels complete...
and I love to make you feel whole...
Ingredients:
2 tbsp ghee or butter
1 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
1 tsp black cumin (nigella) seeds
1/2 inch stick cinammon
2 cardamom pod
1 whole clove
1 cup rinsed basmati rice
1 cup water (or whey)
Few strands saffron
Directions:
1.  Heat the ghee, butter or oil in a large heavy based pan.  Add the clove, cinammon, cardamom, and cumin seeds.
2.  When the seeds start to crackle, add the rice and stir so all the rice is coated.  Cook for a few minutes this way, always stirring to prevent burning, as you would a risotto.
3.  When the rice is translucent, add the water, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and add the saffron.  Cook until all the water is absorbed.  I never time it, I just kind of look at it but it probably takes about 15 minutes.

It will be hard going back to plain white rice after experiencing the depth of jeera rice.
I served this with some quick toor daal fry, magic green grilled chicken, and tandoori cauliflower.
This type of meal has become a biweekly type of thing.  I love it.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment