Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Marinated Squid Grilled on the Plancha

I bought some frozen baby squid in December, when I bought my plancha, and I've been waiting for the moment I could actually give them some spa treatment and grilling.  With the terrible weather we've been having, I think I've only used my plancha 3-4 times.  These last 2 days have been satisfyingly hot, and tomorrow is supposed to rain, so it's now or never...or so I thought.  After a hot and sunny morning, it started raining again this afternoon after I had already thawed my squid and bought some baby scallops to join the fun.  Don't stop the rain because it's not stopping me!
The idea of grilling on the plancha is to have the ingredients bathe in a nice marinade, so that all you have to do is watch them sizzle and turn golden before your eyes.
Oooh!
Here is my marinade for the 500g (1 lb) squid and 200g (7 oz) scallops:
3 Tbsp EVOO
juice from 2 lemons
4 cloves garlic, grated
1 large tsp ground piment d'espelette (or hot chili powder)
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp basaalmic vinegar
let them chill for at least 1 hour, then grill at 250°C (480°F) for about 3-4 minutes, making sure to turn everybody around so they get a chance to color everywhere.

I served these with grilled red bell and home fries.  
I had planned to make some saffron rice and a salad, but somebody was going through fry withdrawal and there was more than enough to eat as it was.  I even had leftovers that I will most likely serve with pasta.

I really enjoy this cooking method and it works out wonderfully with seafood.  I can't wait to do this ginger style!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment