Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Coconut Noodles

Oooh I'm really getting the hang of Burmese cooking.  There are 2 rules I've noticed.
Use shallots
Use toppings
There's more to it than that, but if you have neither, then move on to your plan B.  I ran out of eggs, but some hardboiled eggs would have been perfect as a topping for this lovely creamy almost guiltless dish.  Naomi Duguid adds salt, but I feel it is salty enough without it.
Adapted from Burma: Rivers of Flavor p 251
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 lb (500g) chicken breast, cubed (I used turkey)
1 tsp fish sauce (I used oyster)
1 cup water+ 1 bouillon cube
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1/4 cup toasted chickpea flour mixed in 3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp peanut oil (I used sesame)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 cup minced shallots (about 2 large)
1 Tbsp garlic
3 small whole peeled shallots
1 can coconut milk
cooked egg noodles (I used cellophane)
Garnish:
lime wedges
chili powder
cilantro
scallions
thai chili
crushed peanuts
fish balls (I used cooked cubed cod)
egg (I wish I had some)
fried noodles (didn't have any)
Directions:
 1.  Mix the fish sauce with the meat and refridgerate while you chop everything.
2.  Heat the oil in a wok and fizz the turmeric.
3.  Add the minced shallots and cook until translucent, then add garlic and cook approx 30s.
4.  Add the meat and stir fry until all sides are colored.
5.  Add the chickpea mix, water, and bouillon cube.  Stir to incorporate.
6.  Add the whole shallots and coconut milk.  Bring to a boil, then simmer at least 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.

Serve over some excellent cellophane noodles (or egg noodles) with lots of sauce and as many toppings as your heart desires.

This was lovely over the bean thread noodles, but I think it would be even better over rice.  Tomorrow's continuation of this dish will be with rice.
It's always a good time @ my table.. always my pleasure...

*It's even better with rice.  Forget the noodles!
**do not use egg noodles if GF
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment