Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Falafel

Why do I crave such things?  I've been thinking about doing this for a few days.   Why don't I just do it? Or buy ready made falafel mix?
Because I want GOOD falafel.. and I want it in a pita or on some bulgur so I can eat it with my hands.. and I want it alongside some yogurt tahini sauce with shredded cabbage and cucumbers...and I want it to be my Friday night concert meal do I don't have to buy a flimsy sandwich once I'm there.
Did I mention I'm seeing Johnny Winter, Ben Harper, and Robert Cray?
So during my research, I stumbled upon a blog entirely dedicated to the Hummus by an Israeli blogger.  My recipe is adapted from theirs.
So making falafel from scratch is quite easy... mine turned out crispy on the outside and tender and warm on the inside..hmm reminds me of something.
Yield 25-30 falafel depending on the size of your hands...
Ingredients:
2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked at least 12 hours
5 large cloves garlic
1/2 large red onion or 1 small
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp za'atar
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
salt + fresh cracked pepper
2 tsp baking soda
oil for deep frying
Directions:
1.  Wash the soaked chickpeas well, then peel the skins off.  Seriously, it takes forever, but your insides will thank you.  Mix in a food processor with the garlic and onion.  Add a bit of water if too dry to blend.
2.  Stir everything else but the baking soda.  Knead a bit and let rest for 30 minutes.  You can heat the oil while you wait.. or make the salad or bulgur or tahini yogurt sauce...whatever.
3.  Taste and add adjust the seasoning.  Knead in the baking soda, and make apricot sized balls with your hands.  I have small hands...so they are small apricots.
3.  Make sure the oil is hot, but not boiling.  Drop the balls in the oil and cook until nice and golden brown.. about 3 minutes.
4.  Remove onto paper towels.

Serve warm or at room temperature with some tahini yogurt sauce in a pita or over bulgur...
I've never had better falafel in my life.  This hit the spot.
Nobody noticed the vegetarianism of this meal...and I still haven't leaked the secret.  I was even asked to make this for company.
I win again!

So as I was in line for my concert, I was equally excited about eating my falafel sandwich as I was about seeing Ben Harper!  My sandwich was the sexiest one there and yes I'm proud of that.

*if you have fragile intestines, it would be best to take the skins off the chickpeas before grinding them.  I had no issues, but some people do.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment