Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Gatte ki Subzi

I had to repurpose my fenugreek fritters that turned out more like dry dumplings...and then I thought, hmmm, dumplings, I could work with that!  I remember eating this a few times in Rajastan, and I found it to be full of texture and flavor, and makes you forget it's completely vegetarian.  I'm really not doing this veg thing on purpose, but I feel like I'm discovering a whole new world.
I adapted a recipe I found on ShowMetheCurry and subbed my failed methi fritters (which were basically made of chickpea flour, water, and dried fenugreek) for the dumplings.  Since I had to hide them in this curry, I will not give the recipe, but show how to do it the OG way.
Serves 4 as a meal, 6 as a side.
Ingredients
for gatte (dumplings):
1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
1 Tbsp ghee or oil
1/4 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp or more minced green chilis
1/4 cup yogurt
4 cups water
for the curry:
2 Tbsp oil
1 chopped tomato
1 cup yogurt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 or more chopped green chilis
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
chopped cilantro to garnish
Directions
1.  Make the gatte (dumplings).  In a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour, chili powder, garam masala, and turmeric. Mix well, then add ghee or oil.
2. Add ginger, garlic, green chilies and yogurt. Knead to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
3. In a deep pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
5. Lightly coat fingertips and hands with oil. Divide dough into approx 4 portions and roll each portion between hands to form a thin log shape.
6. Drop the cylinders into the boiling water and boil for approx 5 minutes. Be sure to gently stir after the first minute. Logs will float up when they are cooked – continue boiling for 1 minute more.
7. Remove from water and allow logs to cool before cutting them into 1/2 inch pieces (gatte). Keep the water for later.
8.  Make the curry.   In a mixing bowl, add yogurt, chili powder, tuermeric, ground coriander, green chilies, garlic, and ginger.  Incorporate all the ingredients and set aside.
9.  In a wok, heat the oil.  Add the cumin seeds until they sizzle, then add the tomatoes and cook until they mush together.
10.  Add the gatte (dumplings) and cook for 2 minutes.
11.  Take off heat and stir in the yogurt mixture.
12.  Put back on heat and add in 2 cups of the reserved water from step 7.  I used whey for this.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

Serve garnished with cilantro (not pictured) with rice or roti.
Needless to say, I saved the day with this!
Middle: Gatte ki Subzi

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment