Search this blog

Translate

Friday, August 9, 2013

Sabut Masala Chicken

Ooh I think this is going to be one of my regulars...it's a big win!
There's something about the process frying spices in oil that awakens my deep instincts, as if I was in a trance.  It is everything at once..you see the little seeds dancing around in the hot oil, you hear them clapping when the time is right, the aroma fills the whole house...and you can even feel it if you burn yourself...
Adapted from ShowMetheCurry (again)
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients:
2 lbs or 1 kg bone in skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp black onion (nigella) seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 whole dried red chili
3 sprigs curry leaves (large handful dried)
2 tbsp grated ginger
6 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 green chili (or more) sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
1 tsp amchur (mango powder)
Cilantro for garnish
Directions:
1.  Heat the oil in a wok.  Add all the seeds and cook until they start to sputter.
2.  Add the pepper, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, red and green chilis.  Cook until the raw ginger smell disappears.
3.  Add the sliced onion and cook until it softens, approximately 3-4 minutes.
4.  Add the tomato and amchur and stir around to coat.
5.  Add the chicken and coat.  Turn heat down to medium, cover, and let cook until chickenis done, about 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.

Serve garnished with cilantro, which I did only after the photo.
The unique flavor in this dish comes from the curry leaves.  Now that I have real curry leaves, I feel like I'm discovering a whole new dimension.  If you don't have any or can't find an Indian grocery store..move on to tour plan B, because this dish would truly be incomplete.

I served this with palak paneer and jeera rice.  I'm definately going to make this again next time I do nonvegetarian Indian.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment