Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Leek & Mushroom Pizza

What I like about pizza is that there are no rules, and lack of rules breeds creativity.  I also like that it can be happy hour, appetizer, or main course fair.  Some even go through to dessert, but that's not really my calling.
With that said, while trying to figure out what to serve for my happy hour dinner I hosted last night, I figured pizza would be an interesting addition to the hummus & pita, carrot & cucumber sticks, radishes, pappadums and coconut chutney.
Haha I just realized how Contintental my happy hours can be!

Toppings to my pizza dough:
pesto made of ground pumpkin seeds, parsley, garlic, cream, parmesan, pepper, and truffled EVOO
1 leek, sliced and sautéed in truffled EVOO
7 brown mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in truffled EVOO
ripped turkey ham (optional, but it was to avoid calling it 'vegetarian' in front of certain people)
handful shredded swiss
sliced feta

Cooked at 480°F 250°C for 10 minutes to perfection.

I would have added an egg or 2, because we all know pizza is the best with egg, but I knew I was going to cut very small slices and I didn't want a mess.

The truffled EVOO gives such depth of flavor.  The idea of leeks on a pizza is just genius.  Plus, they're in season and there really is no excuse not to have any on hand.  The feta takes it to another level.  Everybody was pleasantly surprised by the blend of flavors.
Although I burn myself every single time I take pizza out of the oven, nothing matches the satisfaction of eating your own homemade pizza.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment