Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Grilled Lobster with Fennel Kumquat Avocado Salad

I had my mind set on buying rock lobster (langouste) this season.  Actually, I always have my mind set on buying rock lobster, except it's not always readily available year round and it's usually expensive.  I don't think I've had it in 4 years.
This year, it was extremely expensive.  It would have cost around 50€ for just 1.. and I'm not alone.
Strangely enough, North American lobster is a bit cheaper.  Around 16€ live and whole.  My only issue with live animals is that I'm much rather pet them than kill them.  I couldn't really imagine myself throwing that adorable lobster into a pot of boiling water.
I know that's what you're supposed to do.
I just won't do it.. and the man in the house won't do it either, so that makes it tough to cook lobster at home.
Until…
I stumbled upon something called Lobster Popsicles.
Seriously.  In France, they call them Lobster Popsicles (probably since they're North American).  It's basically a cooked lobster frozen in its saltwater brine for ultimate freshness.  I think it's the best thing they've ever invented!  Look at this guy!
I had already decided I wanted to grill them on my griddle pan once defrosted.  I was so happy about having them that I needed to find a dressing to serve them with that would be perfect, delicate, and holiday worthy.
Fennel salad.  Yes, it's perfect with seafood, and it will blow your mind paired with this grilled lobster.
Serves 3
Ingredients
3 defrosted or whole cooked lobsters
some EVOO for brushing
1 grated garlic clove, for brushing
fresh cracked pepper
Salad:
1 large fennel bulbs, sliced thinly
handful of kumquats, sliced thinly
1 avocado, cubed
juice from 1/2 orange
squeeze of lime juice
1 Tbsp EVOO
drizzle of basaalmic vinegar
1/2 tsp piment d'espelette
pinch of fleur de sel
fresh cracked pepper
handful chopped cilantro
Directions
1.  Make the fennel salad.  Toss all the salad ingredients together.  Let sit for at least 1 hour.
2.  Cut cooked lobster in half lengthwise, brush with olive oil, garlic, and cracked pepper and grill 3 minutes meat side down, then flip and grill another 3 minutes to heat the meat through.  Make sure the claws touch the griddle too, so they warm up.

Bam.
Holiday fancy pants meal.
Soooooo delicious!
Make sure you have a nutcracker or some time of crab cracker for the claws.  It would be a shame to let that wonderful meat go to waste.
My favorite part of this meal (besides the mere fact that it was lobster) was eating with my hands and getting it all over the place.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment