Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Kaya Coconut Pie

Before leaving for the holidays, a lovely coworker blessed me with a large can of Kaya from her most recent trip to Malaysia.  I do say "blessed" because it's not something easy to find here in France and it's so incredibly addictingly delicious that it makes me sort of crazy when I think of all the possibilities to use it.
Traditionally, it is spread on toast for breakfast, much like maple butter is in Quebec.  I have to admit it is quite perfect that way, but I can't just stop there.  I must glorify it and make it worth the trip all the way from Malaysia in Elise's luggage with all the other things she must have brought back for herself and her friends.  Last time I made cookies, which I was very happy with.  I recently learned how to make my own pie crust that blows anything you can buy out of the water, so making pie will be the perfect use for this silky coconutty magma.. and I will be able to offer Elise a slice of it to thank her and incite her to continue in her Malaysian treasure retrieval efforts.
Serves 8
Ingredients
250g (8.8 oz) flour (half buckwheat, half whole wheat)
100g (3.5 oz) cubed room temperature butter
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
5 cL (1/4 cup) warm water
Filling:
1 3/4 cups kaya (480g)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
Garnish:
shredded coconut
Directions
1.  Make the pie crust according to the method.  If you really can't, go buy one.
2.  Pre-cook the crust (if completely raw) for 10 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
3.  Whisk together the filling ingredients and pour into the semi-cooked crust.
aah isn't she lovely?
Sprinkle some shredded coconut over the top before popping it into the oven.
4.  Bake for 10 minutes at 210°C, then 30-40 minutes at 180°C, then let cool before eating.  You want it lightly golden at the top, not brown.  Mine cooked a total of 45 minutes.

I'm very happy with the way this came out.  I probably made about 16 small slices and each slice holds its form well.  The mixture is very coconut, semi-custard, not too sweet, but perfectly dreamy.  Since kaya isn't an ingredient I have on hand, I'll try to make it with adjustments next time.  This is definitely a dessert you can bring when invited somewhere, and I'll probably be making it again in the near future.  The colleagues seemed to like it.. my VIP critic loved it, so that's what makes it all worth it...

*I labeled this Malaysian only because the main ingredient is Kaya, which is typically Malaysian.  I'm not sure making pie is very culturally traditional, however.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment