Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Red Cabbage and Feta Tart in a Buckwheat Crust

Here she is in all her glory..the pie I've been dreaming of since my last pie.. well, almost.  I was actually dreaming of beets, but during the week my dream evolved into red cabbage and feta.  I'm still in the dark red theme, so that's ok, I'm not crazy.
After acquiring my buckwheat flour, I had to test out the crust with it.
Oh I just learned that pate brisée in English is shortcrust, and pate feuilletée is pastry puff.  I feel so much wiser now.
This shortcrust was my best savory one yet.  I almost want to say it's healthier because of the buckwheat, but I used butter.  I was afraid it wouldn't hold together with olive oil.. and hey, olive oil is precious!

Buckwheat Thyme Shortcrust
125g (4.4oz) buckwheat flour
125g (4.4oz) whole wheat flour
80g (2.8 oz) room temperature cubed butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 whole egg
approximately 4 cL (1.5 fl oz) water infused with 1 Tbsp thyme
Use the method, then refrigerate for an hour in plastic wrap.
Roll, stab, and precook for 10 minutes at 190°C.

Red Cabbage and Feta Tart
3/4 head red cabbage, finely shredded
7 small shallots, sliced
2 Tbsp EVOO
2 tsp thyme
some fleur de sel
lots of fresh cracked pepper
3-4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar for deglazing
2 handfuls cubed feta
2 handfuls cracked walnuts

Directions
1.  In a very wide skillet or wok, heat the olive oil and fry the shallots for a few minutes, until translucent.
2.  Add the cabbage, salt, lots of pepper, and thyme, and stir, cooking for at least 15 minutes.  If your pan is not wide enough, do it in batches. I did mine in 2 batches.
3.  Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and cook for a few more minutes.  You don't want it to be dry.
4.  Arrange the cooked cabbage in your shortcrust.  Nestle the feta pieces into some of the cracks and top with the walnuts.  Drizzle some olive oil over the whole thing and bake at 180°C for 45 minutes.

Let cool 5 minutes before hacking into it, or it will fall apart, like mine did.
But that's ok, because I'm not a food photographer artist or anything.
I served this as a side to some horse hampe.  Whaat? Yes I eat horse every once in a while.  It's very healthy and the hampe is one of my favorite cuts.
This would be perfect along side some magret (duck) or even grilled chicken or fish.
It's light, packed with flavor, and has that deep dark red color that makes me swoon...
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment