Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sardine Quiche in a Beer Laced Crust

Within 30 minutes coming home after a week, my dainty little fingers were already covered in flour and my mind was throwing all kinds of ideas at me after ingredient calculations.  I haven't gone shopping yet, but I do have eggs, yogurt, and milk, and Top Chef on replay.
This weekend I exchanged a few crust ideas with my cousin.  She told me she sometimes uses baking powder to make it fluffier and olive oil instead of butter to make it healthier.  I started to look into it, but at the last minute I just decided to use less butter and try beer instead of water and see how that goes.  I know... it has nothing to do with baking powder, but in my mind the only interesting addition is the leavening agent.  Beer does that!  Between us, isn't it psychologically healthier to use beer in cooking than to drink it?
Of this thought flourished another quiche.. one with a large can of Pilchard Sardines in tomato sauce with some Macedoine.
Beer Laced Pastry
100g (3.5 oz) cubed room temperature butter250g (8.8 oz) whole wheat flour1/2 tsp salt1 egg yolk
6 cL (2 fl oz) beeruse the method, then poke with a fork and precook for 15 minutes at 200°C (400°F)
Quiche Ingredients
1 special sexy pastry, precooked1 can of sardines, bones picked out
1 small can macedoine or frozen mixed veggies
few dots cream cheese
Beat together:
3 eggs + 1 yolk
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 full cup whole milk
pinch nutmeg
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
lots of fresh cracked pepper

Lay the sardines on the precooked pastry first, then add the macedoine and cream cheese.  Pour the beaten mixture over it all and cook for 45-50 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
Wait 15 minutes before digging in.

Tomorrow I'm going back to Indian food.  I think my body can handle it...

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment