Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Balsamic Strawberry Swirl Banana Muffins

That title may be just a touch too long...
These are a cross between Balsamic Strawberry Muffins and PB&J Banana Muffins, but they are oh so different from both that they deserve their own name.
I have an incurable disease where I get the urge to bake things.  I'm not even a huge fan of sweets, but I like the chemistry that goes into baking.  While waiting for a new cookie recipe to pop out of my head, these swirly muffins call out my name every time I open the freezer and see that bag of strawberries.  The bag is no more...
Yield 20 muffins
Ingredients
3 over ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1 cup (160g) dark brown sugar
scant 1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1cup (120g) flour (I used half buckwheat, half whole wheat)
1/3 cup (50g) ground hazelnuts
1 tsp strawberry sauce per muffin
Directions
1.  Beat together the eggs, sugar, bananas, oil, and vanilla.
2.  In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3.  Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they just come together.
4.  Grease your muffin tins and fill them 3/4 to the top, then swirl in 1 tsp of the strawberry sauce into each serving.
5.  Bake in a 375°F (180°C) oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after a nice stab.


I imagined the swirl to be more prominent, but that may be because of the dark brown sugar.  If these were made with white refined sugar, the swirl would be intensely noticeable.. but you'd have to eat refined sugar, which we are all trying to avoid, right?
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment