Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Banana Nut Muffins

Of all the cookies and muffins and pies I've made so far, I realized I hadn't made the one every American knows and loves which brings back childhood warmth and smiles..
Banana Bread!  How is it possible that I've never made this?  I love bananas, and I'm getting much better at baking.. so am I waiting for?
Well, wait no longer!
I made them in muffin form because they're easier to distribute in individual portions that way, but it's basically the same thing.
Yield 15 muffins
Ingredients
3 over ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1 cup (170g) sugar*
*I used 70g brown sugar and 100g molasses
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/2 stick vanilla, scraped (or 1 tsp extract)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1cup (115g) flour**
**I used 85g buckwheat and 30g whole wheat
1/2 cup (80g) oats
Toppings:
Chopped walnuts
Poppy seeds
Directions
1.  Beat together the eggs, sugar, molasses, bananas, oil, cinnamon and vanilla.
2.  In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3.  Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the oats.  The texture should not be dry.. it should be very goopy.
4.  Grease your muffin tins and fill them 3/4 to the top, then sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and poppy seeds.
5.  Bake in a 375°F (180°C) oven for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after a nice stab.

Let the banana power invade your senses....
People really should cook with bananas more.  They really work their way into your soul.

This was a healthy version, but you can easily sub out the oats and add peanut butter and add chocolate chips as a topping and then these would be over the top decadent.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment