Search this blog

Translate

Monday, March 31, 2014

Kerala Fish Curry

First of all, if you are planning on making fish in a sauce, I'd highly suggest monkfish.  It stays firm and chunky and does not disintegrate out of fragility like other white fish does.  It also tastes wonderful and absorbs the curry very nicely.
I don't do fish in curry very often, because I don't like to hide the taste of what I'm eating, and I usually prefer my fish grilled or raw.  This dish may make me change my habits and make it more often.  What I love about it is that you still know that you're eating fish, and the texture of the monkfish is like that of crab or alligator tail.
Tonight's thali is laced with coconut.. ooh!
Serves 5-6
Ingredients
2 lbs (1 kg) monkfish or other firm white fish, deboned and cubed
2 tsp turmeric
some salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 red chilis, split
1 inch chunk ginger, peeled and sliced into thin sticks
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 400mL can coconut milk
1 cup water
3 Tbsp tamarind concentrate
1 Tbsp fish stock (I used dried shrimp)
Directions
1.  Rub the fish cubes with some salt and turmeric and set aside while you prepare the curry.
2.  Heat the oil in a wok and sautée the onions with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes or until soft.  You don't want them to brown.
3.  Add the chilis, cumin, and ginger and stir fry for a few minutes.  The aroma should be sweet from the ginger and cough inducing from the chilis.  This is good.
4.  Add the coconut milk, water, and dried shrimp.  Bring to a boil and simmer for at least 10 minutes.  Taste and add salt if needed.
5.  Add in the fish.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1-2 minutes until the fish is cooked through.

Serve with some basmati rice, naan, and whatever other sides you see fit.
I served mine with Lobia Palak Curry, Man'ouché, and Samosas.

I love meals like this.  Spicy, tangy, earthy, crunchy, comforting.. and almost effortless.. well, today at least...
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I didn't try the Kerala Fish Curry.I am from Andhra Pradesh. After visiting your blog, I love the dish made with coconut oil and making it in a Fresh fish will surely enhance the taste. thanks for the recipe. Check our restaurants Andhra Style Restaurants Bangalore

    ReplyDelete