Search this blog

Translate

Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Quiche is Leeking

... and my shortcrust is Thymeless
I like making shortcrust so much that I've slipped into a sort of 1 pie per week routine.  This week, I'm switching from dark red to green with some of my beloved winter friends, leeks.  I'll go back to dark red next week, because I have plenty of beet ideas, but sometimes, classic is classy.
My buckwheat crust from last week was so perfect that I used the exact same one for my quiche.
Ingredients
1 buckwheat thyme shortcrust, precooked 10 minutes
2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced
Few tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp sage
1 tsp powdered piment d'espelette
Lots of fresh cracked pepper
Few pinches fleur de sel
handful cubed Leerdamer (I would have used feta if I had it)
Beat together:
3 eggs
3/4 cup cream
1 cup goats milk (if you can find it)
Pinch nutmeg
1/2 tsp extra strong mustard
Lots of fresh cracked pepper
Directions
1.  Sautée the sliced leeks in the olive oil.  Add the sage, piment d'espelette, salt, and pepper.  Cook until translucent.. about 10 minutes.
2.  Assemble the quiche. Place 2/3 of the cooked leeks into the precooked shortcrust, add the cheese cubes, then cover with the rest of the leeks.
3.  Pour the beaten mixture over the leeks.  Everything should be just covered
4.  Cook at 180°C (360°F) for 45-55 minutes.
5.  Let cool 10 minutes before digging in.
Needless to say, this one is a winner.  Everything about it was perfect.  The taste and texture of the crust, the fluffiness of the quiche, the flavor of the leeks.
I ate 2 slices as a meal with some salad, but it's most probably a side dish or appetizer.  
It didn't taste very goat like, as I thought it would.  I recently decided to switch cow's milk for goat's milk in my diet.
Just the milk, though, because I like the taste of goat.
I will never give up cheese.  If I had to give up cheese, I'd probably move back to the US.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment