Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Orange Marmelade & Mustard Salad Dressing

This post is about the salad dressing, but it's almost really all about the salad as a whole.
I've been experimenting with the sweet-savory-tangy mix of flavors by putting fruit in my non dessert salad.  So far I've done it with orange, pomelo, mango, melon, by mixing with shrimp, avocado, chicken, cheese, fennel, egg...
All this works so well it's like magic, so why not include it in the dressing?
As I mentioned in a previous post, some orange marmelade magically appeared in my kitchen.  Since the flavor is so particularly different than normal jam, it mixes surprisingly well in savory as well as sweet.  To take it an extra step I added grapes to my lambs lettuce salad, which made the whole deal an extremely pleasant mind boggler.
Serves 1 as a meal, 2 as a side.
Ingredients
Dressing:
1 heaping Tbsp orange marmelade
1 heaping Tbsp strong mustard (I used Amora Forte)
1 heaping Tbsp excellent EVOO
1 heaping Tbsp apple cider vinegar
pinch fleur de sel (flake salt)
a few grinds fresh black pepper
Salad:
few large handfuls mâche (lambs lettuce or baby spinach) washed
1/2 tomato, chopped
few large delicious grapes, halved and seeded
a bit of fresh goat cheese, chopped
1 Tbsp capers
1 perfectly poached egg
Directions
1.  Mix the dressing ingredients together in a large salad bowl.
2.  Add all the salad ingredients on top.
3.  Toss that salad!

Zippity doo daw this salad blew me away!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment