Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Black Current Buckwheat Muffins

This week's muffins are gluten free!  I recently added that label to my posts and I've realized that most of my recipes are GF in general.  It's just that I usually eat a piece of cheese with baguette after dinner.. hehee.
I've been using buckwheat flour relatively often, but always mixed with whole wheat flour for fear of the loss of fluffiness, but these muffins are 100% buckwheat and very low in sugar (except for the fact that I added bit of black current jam in the center).  I'm not going to say that they resemble a wheat flour muffin, but that wasn't my goal at all.  I wanted a tasty muffin full of fruit and a nutty buckwheat flavor.. which is exactly what I got.
My basic muffin proportions come from my Banana Nut Muffins, and I just tweak things from there.
Yield 16 muffins
Ingredients
3 over ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
scant 1/3 cup (50g) cane sugar
1/2 cup black current jam + 1/2 tsp for muffin filling
1/3 cup (50g) canola oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1cup (130g) buckwheat flour
Toppings:
Chopped walnuts
Directions
1.  Beat together the eggs, sugar, jam, bananas, oil, and cinnamon.
2.  In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3.  Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in the poppy seeds.  The texture should not be dry.. it should be very goopy.
4.  Grease your muffin tins and fill them 3/4 to the top, then push down 1/2 tsp black current jam into each one and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts.
5.  Bake in a 375°F (180°C) oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after a nice stab.

Serve warm or cold.. both ways are marvelous and very breakfast worthy!

Next time I may entirely do without sugar (especially when using jam).
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment