Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Bok Choy in a Bamboo Steamer

I got a new completely unexpected toy.. A bamboo steamer!
I understand the concept..but I've always used my pressure cooker to steam before.
Here is a traditional way to steam things that don't need very long...and to make some fun dim sum items as well.  My first experiment was a medium bok choy.
It is actually very simple.  Line the bottom with banana leaves or parchment paper, place clean vegetables inside.  I did 1 bok choy sliced in half.
Then cover and place in a pan of simmering water
The pan should be wide enough so that the sides of the bamboo basket don't touch the sides of the pan (to avoid burning).
For bok choy, cook for about 10 minutes or until the tough center becomes a bit tender.
While that is happening make the dressing..
Mix 1 grated clove garlic with 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp rice vinegar, juice from 1/4 lime, some flake salt, and some crushed red pepper flakes.

I also did this again with Sos Bilis, sesame seeds, garlic, and ginger (from Malaysia) and it was out of this world.. no really.

Excellent side dish to anything you so desire.  I ate this with steak.  It was amazing.  I was very proud of my little vegetable.
I think I'm ready for Baozi..
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment