Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Deviled Eggs with Tuna

Deviled eggs has been requested many times, but I've never gotten around to making them because;
-It was never the right "time"
-I didn't have enough eggs at the time of request
-I thought I had to "snow" egg whites for some unknown reason and I'm not a big fan of that
-Peeling hard-boiled eggs is annoying with an ugly result

Well, it turns out that;
-Any time is the right time..guests or not, hors d'oeuvres or dinner..deviled eggs are always welcome
-I've since increased my weekly egg purchase, so this week I did have enough eggs
-There is no eggwhite beating involved, only forkmashing
-If you steam the eggs, peeling is easy and beautiful!

So without any reasonable excuse and the motivation inspired by my bamboo steamer basket, deviled eggs happened tonight for dinner...and the best part is I made enough for tomorrow's lunch as well, whiwh makes the pleasure last much longer than just popping one or two at happy hour.
Yield 16 halves (4 meals if served with sides)
Ingredients
8 farm fresh medium eggs
1 can of tuna, drained
1 1/2 Tbsp good quality mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp strong mustard
Juice from 1/4 lemon
2 Tbsp chopped scallions
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/8 tsp crushed piment d'espelette
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Crumbled feta for garnish
Paprika sprinkled for garnish
Directions
1.  Steam the eggs on high for 7 minutes, then place in an ice bath to stop the cooking.
2.  Peel and halve the eggs.  They should be hard boiled, but not chalky, as so..
3.  Scoop out the yolks into a bowl and add the tuna, mayo, lemon juice, mustard, pepper, piment d'espelette, scallions, black pepper, and cilantro.  Stir well with a fork until the mixture is even and scoop worthy.
4.  Place one heaping tsp of the mixture into each egg half.  Garnish with some crumbled feta ans a shake of paprika.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.  I ate this immediately alongside some roasted asparagus and a salad with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, capers, and aah yes, feta.
Goat feta.  It is driving me crazy.  I don't know if I should ask forgiveness for trespassing its purity or feel grace that I have been blessed enough to reveal its ability to comprehend...

These are known as Oeufs Mimosa in French.  I am unable to correctly label this as either French or American, so I labeled as both.  I suppose the feta is more European, but these are clearly cross cultural with those scallions and cilantro!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment