Search this blog

Translate

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Shitake and Kelp Linguine

After discovering the loveliness of kelp (and ending up with too much of it) I repurposed it into this very interesting pasta.  Interesting because, who adds kelp in pasta?  I do.  But I didn't do the Asian spin on it.  I did it creamy style with some sliced shitake mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, and some cream.  That's it, and it is a nice spin from ordinary pasta dishes.  These are flavors that go so well together it just gets me all tied up in a knot.
The kelp adds the sea saltiness, the shitakes add the meatiness, the tomatoes add a bit of fresh, the garlic a bit of bite, and the cream ties it all together.  It's also a perfect way to use up any kelp you may have made too much of.
Serves 4
Ingredients
350g (3/4 lb) linguine, cooked al dente
30g (1oz) dried kelp, soaked in warm water until rehydrated
8-9 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water, then sliced
2 gloves garlic, grated
1 tomato, chopped
lots of fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
some reserved water from cooking pasta
fleur de sel to taste
parmesan for garnish
1 Tbsp EVOO
Directions
1.  Heat the oil in a heavy based pan or wok and add the sliced shitakes with a pinch of salt.  Cook, stirring until slightly colored.
2.  Add the kelp and garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring.
3.  Add the chopped tomato and lots of pepper.  Remove from heat.
4.  Toss the hot linguine with the cream and the kelp shitake mixture.  If it seems too dry, add some of the pasta cooking water and coat the noodles well.

Garnish with some grated parmesan and serve piping hot.

This meal was simple but intriguing at the same time.  The shitakes are a newfound infatuation.  I know I've had them before, but I've never worked them as I've been doing this week, and they are soooo MeaTy!  When you bite into them it's like you're biting into a piece of beef, but that tastes like an amazing shitake.
How did they do that? Where's the Food?
It might seem like I'm purposely eating tomatoes and mushrooms.. but it really is not as it seems.  These items just happen to be appearing in my life and I am embracing them enthusiastically..

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment