Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Aglio e Basilico Spaghetti Pescatore

I don't know what's going on, but I've been craving spicy pasta and noodles.  I'm also going through major cuisine ADD.  Seriously, within a single week, I can go through a Mexican, Indian, Chinese, French, American, and Italian phase...with rest on The 7th day...
The craving hits between 2-3pm, and my mind goes through several brainstorms with the inner voice before settling down on the perfect solution.  Today, I wanted some mega garlic with spicy mouthfuls of summer plancha squid tentacles.  A few months ago, I overestimate what 2 people could eat in one sitting during a plancha craving.  I ate everything that wouldn't keep, and saved the grilled squid tentacles sliced in a freezer bag to retrieve during a future craving.
That day has come...
I picked up this green garlic and basil spaghetti near the Italian border and I've been waiting for it to spring up on me in this way.  Ah coming home, placing Maurice, my bearded dragon on my shoulder while speaking with my now 27 year old brother, wishing him a happy birthday, then sitting down to this.. what a perfect evening of the day today has been!
Garlic and Basil Spaghetti in a Spicy Tomato Seafood Sauce
Serves 5-6
Ingredients
1 lb - 500g garlic basil spaghetti (I found De Luca's artisanal brand) cooked al dente
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, diced
1 large green chile, seeded and diced
4 garlic cloves, grated
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 can Italian tomato pulp + 1 can water
zest from 1 lemon
lots of freshly cracked black pepper
1 large pinch angel hair chile (or 1/2 tsp chile powder)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
pinch fleur de sel
grated parmesan, to garnish
Directions
1.  Heat the oil in a heavy based pan or wok and cook the onion until translucent.
2.  Add the diced chile, basil, and garlic, and cook until fragrant.
3.  Add the tomato pulp and lemon zest.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
4.  Add the pepper, angel hair chile, and balsamic vinegar.  It might get a bit thick and dangerously spurt.  At this point, add some water, but no more than 1 can.  Simmer for another 5 minutes.
5.  Add in the cooked and sliced squid tentacles.  Since these are already cooked, just heat them through..no need to further cook.
6.  Taste and add some fleur de sel as needed.  The squid may have released some of its salty seawater, so don't oversalt here.
7.  Toss with the al dente spaghetti.

Serve garnished with grated parmesan.
Then.. don't tell anyone you went for seconds.. please!
This could work with any type of seafood.  The sauce would go well with anything from mussels, clams, calamari, or even a can of drained squid.  I just used some grilled tentacles I had in the freezer, but oohhh yes clams.  I will definitely be making this again with fresh clams... letting them steam over the sauce and have their magic drip in instead of adding that can of water.

I haven't been this satisfied with a pasta dish in a very very long time.  I didn't follow a recipe, I just followed my inner voice which seems to guide me everywhere I place my hands..

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment