Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Korean Spicy Grilled Squid -Ojingeo Tonggui

As the unexpected Stiletto evening became one with my mind, nothing could have satisfied my sea lust as this grilled squid has.
I've experimented with octopus with fabulous results, so this time I felt ready to announce to my fishmonger something a bit more exotic (compared to the experience I have with it).  I'm in great need of garlic and chile with this little cold I've been fighting since yesterday, so I decided to go Korean style with it.  I'll replicate this for guests any day.
It was perfect.
I'm sure it would be perfect with a "simpler" style of garlic, olive oil, lemon, parsley, and fleur de sel, but I wanted heat and pungency.. chile and ginger.
Yes.. is the word.
Inspired by Maangchi
Serves 1 as a main, 2-4 as an appetizer
Ingredients
2 small or 1 large squid (450g or 1 lb), cleaned and rinsed (I used shortfin red)
1-2 baby bok choy, halved
Basting sauce:
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp mustard
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 small cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp black vinegar
2 Tbsp Sriracha sauce or chile paste
Garnish:
1 Tbsp chopped green onions
1/4 tsp sesame seeds
Directions
1.  Make the basting sauce by stirring all the ingredients together.  Set aside.
2.  If your squid is small, no need to remove the skin (in my opinion).
 Slice into the long part as if to make rings, but don't cut all the way through.  Score the tentacles also.
2.  Griddle or plancha or bbq the bok choy on high, cut side down for about 1-2 minute, until charred, then turn over, baste a bit, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
3.  Place the squid, cut side up onto the hot hot griddle pan along with the tentacles.  Cook for 1 minute, then flip over and baste.
4.  Cook for another minute, then flip over and baste again, making sure the sauce gets into the neat little sensual crevices...

Serve hot.
Oh yes.. yes yes yes!!!!
Why why why have I never tried to make this before??
The best part of this is that it's remarkable quick to make.  I only had a griddle pan in the middle of freezing cold winter for 1 person, but this would be amazing on the plancha or bbq for a crowd and soo quick to cook so that everybody can enjoy a hot meal.
I've heard that "no" is powerful.. but nothing in this world is more breathtaking than a "YES!"

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment