Search this blog

Translate

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Korean Spicy Baby Squid with Cabbage

I haven't gotten over my desire to eat squid, octopus, and mussels yet and I really don't think that's going to be going away soon.  I had the opportunity to cook for 1.. myself, and when that comes along, I like to put myself through an individual pleasurable experience full of heat and flavor.
This type of meal makes my eyes roll back and my nose run.. but it makes my soul smile..
Similar to the grilled version, Onjingeo Tonggui
Serves 1 as a main, 2-4 as an appetizer
Ingredients
250g (8.8oz) baby squid, cleaned, tentacles separated, and rinsed
1 cup shredded cabbage
Marinade:
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
juice from 1/2 lime
2 small cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp black vinegar
1 Tbsp Sriracha sauce or chile paste
Garnish:
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp sesame seeds
Directions
1.  Make the marinade by stirring all the ingredients together.  Put 2 Tbsp of the marinade into the shredded cabbage and stir the rest with the squid tubes.  Let marinate for 10 minutes.
2.  Heat a wok to high heat and cook the marinated cabbage for 2-3 minutes.  Set aside.
3.  In the same wok, add the squid along with the sauce.  Cook for no longer than 4 minutes, stirring.  If you cook longer, it will become rubbery.  You want it tender and nice and juicy.  They will shrivel a bit, but that's cute.

Serve cabbage topped with the squid garnished with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.
Mine had a lot of sauce, but I like it that way.  You can add hot white rice to sop up that extra spicy sauce.

This level of spiciness takes me gently into a deep Nirvana...

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment