Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Salmon 'Ota 'Ika with Mango

The last time I made Poisson Cru à la Tahitienne, I was smitten.  Everything about it was perfect, delicate, refreshing, and nourishing.  I couldn't wait to get a chance to make it again with a few tweaks here and there.  The thing is.. I haven't seen fresh white albacore tuna on the stalls at all.  It's as if he just made a cameo appearance to give me a taste of his beauty just to leave me there, lusting for his unattainable passion.  I've been wanting to pair him with a sweet tangy mango and watch the chemistry happen.  Last night I gave in.  With no tuna on the horizon, I let myself be seduced by salmon.  The two have nothing in common in terms of taste, but both make me swoon in different ways.
As it turns out, salmon works wonderfully with coconut milk, avocado, and of course, mango.  It's almost as if it was made to be..
Serves 7-8 as a starter
Ingredients
500g (1lb) fresh salmon, cut into cubes
1 large mango, cut into cubes
1 carrot, grated
1/2 cucumber, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
4 cloves garlic, grated
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1 avocado, chopped
1-2 green chiles, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/2 can premium coconut milk (about 1 cup)
juice from 3 limes
few grinds black pepper
Directions
Stir everything together and reserve in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve cold as an appetizer alone or as a meal along with hot basmati rice.
I served as part of a trio of appetizers alongside some fresh spring rolls and grilled sardines.  It was a very emotional event.

As soon as I move and unpack, I'm buying better a better small dish service.  I don't have many matching small bowls or verrines, so when there is company nobody has the same size or shape.  We all know it's not the plate that makes the meal a hit, but now that I'm a grown woman and a homeowner, I will be upgrading certain things in my kitchen.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment