Search this blog

Translate

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Tandoori Roasted Eggplant with Pear

Sometimes I have different cravings at the same time.  Those days I just zone out and put my inner cook on autopilot.  Sometimes the result is ok, but not breathtaking.
This time it was a masterpiece.
The balance, between textures, spiciness, sweetness, and Indianness makes it so perfect I wouldn't be surprised if I was served this as an appetizer at a classy restaurant.
I wanted eggplant but had some leftover chutney that needed to be used up.  I only needed to cook for myself so I set myself free and let it happen.  I took my desired eggplant, sliced it, rubbed with tandoori spice and then found a pear that had been hanging out in the fridge for a while and decided to do the same with it.  The worst that could happen would be if cooked pear and tandoori didn't go together.
What happened?
Ultimate witchcraft.  A mesmerizing state of mind during the enjoyment process.  Something I had to absolutely document so I can make it again and serve it to actual humans...
Serves 2-3 as an appetizer
Ingredients
1 large eggplant, cut into 4-5 lengthwise slices
1 pear, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
1 green chile, split
1 1/2 tsp tandoori spice
1 Tbsp olive oil
Directions
1.  In a baking dish, rub the tandoori spice all over each slice of eggplant, pear, and green chile, then toss with the olive oil.
2.  Spread out in one layer and roast for 30 minutes at 200°C 400°F.

Serve with Spicy Cilantro Chutney

or do it again with Persimmons, and Zucchini instead of pear
and serve as a "real" meal with basmati rice and dal.

I had the entire thing for dinner because I could not stop myself from savoring each and every little piece.  Each bite is an adventure in itself.. and with the chutney you skyrocket off your seat.
I cannot wait to make this for company.
It is a high class appetizer.. plus, I won't be offended if you eat it with a knife and fork..

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment