Search this blog

Translate

Monday, December 28, 2015

Three-Ginger Pecan Pie

Pecan pie has been on my mind for a few years now.  I have some old Thanksgiving memories of a tooth-achingly sweet but absolutely fabulous pie with pecans forming a top crust and a gelatinous custard underneath I could never figure out.  Coming from the desert, I would joke that it was cockroach pie because the intact pecans reminded me of the local Palmetto roaches that like to hang out in the swamp coolers.  I know.. this is not a very appetizing intro.. but I used to refuse to eat dates as well for the same reason.  Once I got past that little though, bliss became me.
The only reason I hadn't made pecan pie until now is that almost every single recipe called for corn syrup and cornstarch.
I know it's psychological, but I cannot knowingly put corn syrup into one of my desserts.  Plus, I can't handle very very sweet desserts.. at least not as much as I could when I was younger.  It actually horrified me when I found out what that jiggly sweet stuff was under the pecan crust.
So, I completely stopped looking for pecan pie recipes.
It's funny because it's when you stop actively looking for love that it hits you in the face.  A recipe literally called out to me with the magic word: Ginger.
It has 3 types of ginger; fresh, powdered, and candied, maple syrup instead of corn syrup, and no corn starch.  Plus, I could cut out all the refined sugar if I wanted because it wouldn't dramatically change the texture.
This one was a winner.. and I'm very happy I decided to go through and make myself a new pecan pie memory..
Adapted from David Lebovitz.
Serves 8
Ingredients
Shortcrust:
100g (3.5oz) butter, cubed
125g (4.4oz) buckwheat flour
125g (4.4oz) flour
pinch salt
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 packet vanilla sugar
2 Tbsp cane sugar
1 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg yolk
5 cL (approx 2 floz) water
Use the method, then pre-bake for 10 minutes at 190°C

Filling:
3 Tbsp butter
juice from 1 lime
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
225g (7.9oz) pecans, toasted and chopped
50g (1.8oz) chopped candied ginger

Directions
1.  Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the milk, maple syrup, lime, salt, fresh ginger, and powdered ginger.  Remove from heat, add the chopped pecans, and let infuse for about 10 minutes.
2.  In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs well with the vanilla extract.
3.  Add the infused mixture into the beaten eggs along with the chopped candied ginger and mix well.
4.  Pour the filling into the pre-baked shortcrust.  Bake at 350°F 180°C for about 40 minutes.
The recipe says it should jiggle.. mine didn't really jiggle, but after cooling for about 1 hour, it was very easy to cut into slices.
It was the most fabulous tasting dessert I've ever made.
It is probably better to eat it in the afternoon with tea, for after a heavy meal it is a bit hard to go through with your desire to eat 2 slices.
Ginger is really getting a hold on me this season!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment