Search this blog

Translate

Sunday, March 10, 2013

May I Date you, Cookie?

99% of dates produced in the US come from the Palm Springs area.  Dates being the fruits of paradise implies that I was born in heaven.  I like that.
Dates are one of those superfoods.  High in fiber, full of antioxidants, vitamins, iron, and potassium.  There is a very well known belief that 7 dates a day is enough to keep you healthy and disease free.  These cookies are a blessing, so make them and enjoy.  
I basically used the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and swapped out a few ingredients.  I had a tube of condesed milk I'd been eating by the fingerful so I decided to use that too.
Yield 40 cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup softened butter (114g)
3/8 cup packed brown sugar (I used 75g cassonade)
45g sweetened condensed milk
1 large egg
1 tsp maple syrup
3/4 cup flour (I used 90g whole wheat)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1 1/2 cups organic oats
5 oz (125g) pitted and chopped dates
1 cup more or less crushed pine nuts
Directions:
1.  Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
2.  Add the egg, condensed milk, and maple syrup and beat until incorporated.
3.  Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices together.  Add this mixture little by little while continually mixing to the egg butter sugar mixture.
4.  Stir in the oats, then the chopped dates, then the pine nuts.  Have I ever mentioned how amazing pine nuts are?
Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C.
5.  On a cookie sheet, make tablespoon sized balls spaced out at least 2 inches apart.  Bake for 9 minutes or until lightly golden.  Quickly transfer to a wire rack to let cool.

These are a very nice twist on the classic chocolat chip or oatmeal raisin.  The result is a perfectly chewy yet structured cookie.  I'd date myself anytime of day.
The pine nuts make it an extra special experience.  Excellent fusion material.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment